Gardening to-do list
- Keep your container plants fed and watered. Use a slow release fertilizer like worm castings and add extra potassium for blooms.
- Remove faded flowers to encourage more flowering.
- Watch out for pests like aphids. Look for and pick off destructive caterpillars and grubs.
- Collect seeds from healthy plants for replanting.
- Trim and cut back shrubs and hedges.
- It's time to plant spring-flowering bulbs.
- Plant cold-hardy annuals now and remember to protect during the winter.
- Mow, mow , mow. Increase the cutter height during dry spells. Water new sod throughout the summer. Unless it's very dry (not around here!), established lawns don't require watering.
- Harvest your vegetables as they become ripe to encourage more production.
Above all, keep cool. Fall's just around the corner.